Monday, June 1, 2015

MCKEE and GORMAN

The problem with genealogy is that it becomes nearly all consuming for me. I stay up outrageously late because I'm completely unaware of the time as it passes. As I've said before the beauty of researching online now is that the ability to research grows as time goes on. Not only because more data is uploaded constantly but because over time you learn about more branches on your family tree.

The weekend its been all about trying to locate which branches had my Irish ancestors--nearly always referenced as a slur. I looked at my family tree on Saturday and saw two lines that had Irish surnames and no information on them. I first started by looking at the census data I already had on these lines and quickly found that my great (3x) grandmother's parents were born in Ireland. Cool! It turns out I'd had the information for forever and didn't realize it.

I spent most of the weekend trying to move the branch back one more generation but to no avail. The data on them is either not on line yet or the lived in a neighboring state for a while. I'll keep looking. That family name is McKee.

The other name with a likely Irish link is Gorman. That line is also proving to be somewhat elusive at the moment. It too is a female line which is typically more difficult to trace backward. I'll keep pursuing that line too until I find something.

Now I'd rather research than work, it is a bummer that I have to work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment